Whitby Mental Health Centre (WMHC) provides a range of specialized, tertiary care mental health programs for inpatients and for outpatients throughout our primary service area. In addition, WMHC operates treatment residences in Stouffville and Oshawa; and the Centre supports residents in privately operated Homes for Special Care.

Management of the Centre was transferred from the Ontario Government on March 27, 2006, establishing WMHC as a stand alone specialty psychiatric hospital. WMHC employs 1000 staff and has an annual operating budget of approximately $88 million.

Community Based Board of Directors
WMHC is operated by a community-based Board of Directors, which is focused on the effective and efficient delivery of mental health for a population of 2.5 million residents in an area extending from the northeast and east of the City of Toronto (formerly East York, Scarborough and North York east of Yonge Street), to the York and Durham Regions and to the City of Kawartha Lakes (formerly Victoria County).

The Centre provides leadership for mental health services within the Central East Local Health Integration Network (LHIN). Our role in the community extends beyond the walls of the modern Whitby facility to assist others who work with individuals recovering from serious mental illness. WMHC operates community service sites in: Newmarket, Georgina, Maple, Uxbridge, Port Perry, Bowmanville, Lindsay and Whitby. The Advantage Assertive Community Treatment Team operates from bases in Peterborough, Lindsay and Whitby.

Our vision is to work in partnership with consumers, their families and with other community hospitals, agencies and resources to provide effective treatment, support and care to enable our clients to achieve optimal quality of life.

Our mission is to assist individuals suffering from serious mental illness achieve the earliest and most successful community reintegration at the most independent level through comprehensive assessment, consultation, treatment and rehabilitation.

WMHC is accredited by the Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation (CCHSA). It opened as a mental health facility in 1919. Its present facility is located on the shores of Lake Ontario and opened in 1996. The Centre’s facilities offer numerous advantages for consumers and staff such as: advanced design and physical environment; patient care units designed for ultimate flexibility of use and safety; modern equipment and building systems; ample indoor and outdoor program and recreational space; proximity and accessibility to support services; and up to date information technology.

Serving a Population of 2.5 Million
WMHC’s services are designed to provide successful treatment, rehabilitation and the earliest possible reintegration into the community. Assessment and crisis services are provided, as well as consultation, education and community development. Our experienced staff is committed to excellent patient care, ongoing learning and a positive and respectful work environment.

20% of Canadians will personally experience a mental illness during their lifetime and the remaining 80% will be affected by an illness in family members, friends or colleagues.

The Centre values service partnerships with consumers and their families, general hospitals, community mental health services and other agencies.

The Centre operates under the auspices of Health Care Programs (Central East Region), Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and is regulated by the Public Hospitals Act, the Mental Health Act and other provincial and federal legislation.

Our Programs
A range of specialized inpatient and outpatient programs is available at Whitby Mental Health Centre through five clinical groups Adolescents & Dual Diagnosis, Clinical Support Services, Forensics, Assessment and Reintegration Program and Special Services. They are designed to provide successful treatment, rehabilitation and earliest possible reintegration into the community. Assessment and crisis intervention services are provided, as well as a range of consultative and educational services.

The onset of most mental illness occurs during adolescence and young adulthood.

Each individual’s treatment plan is developed by agreement between the individual/substitute decision maker and the health care team, and focuses on the strengths and abilities of the individual.
A multidisciplinary treatment team approach is used with the team monitoring the individual’s progress regularly.

Our Volunteers
The Volunteer Association of WMHC is a registered charitable organization made up of approximately 180 registered volunteers. Behind every volunteer there are dozens of stories and experiences to be shared, of the clients they serve and the staff they interact with on a regular basis. Registered volunteers have been providing services to our patients since 1966 and the variety of programs continue to grow.